WelcomeThe Scholars in HeAlth Research Program (SHARP) provides graduates with the required foundation to pursue a career in clinical and translational research, particularly focusing on Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDs). It offers didactic courses and hands-on training in the essential disciplines to conduct quantitative research, namely epidemiology, biostatistics, research ethics, and library science/informatics. SHARP offers a 12 credit summer certificate and a 40 credit MSc. degree, jointly awarded by the Faculty of Medicine and the Faculty of Health Sciences at AUB.
(More) (SHARP Brochure) (Summary)
The Mission of the Scholars in HeAlth Research Program (SHARP) at the American University of Beirut (AUB) is "To provide superior didactic education complemented with state-of-the-art interactive and practical training in health research, with a focus on non-communicable diseases research. It is intended for physicians and other health care professionals, to improve and advance the health care agenda for non-communicable diseases in Lebanon and the region".
- Dr. Ghada El-Hajj Fuleihan was selected as recipient of the 2017 Harvard T. Chan School of Public Health Award of Merit. This recognition was delivered at Harvard T. Chan School of Public Health, at the School’s Alumni annual meeting, that took place on Saturday October 14th, Boston, MA. The Award of Merit is the highest School honor recognizing extraordinary achievements of select alumni (View) (Honorees) (Photos) (Video)
- Congratulations to Dr. Dayane Daou, SHARP MS student, whose abstract 894: Dexmedetomidine versus Morphine for Postoperative Analgesia after Laparoscopic Bariatric Surgery has been accepted for presentation at the International Anesthesia Research Society (IARS) 2018 Annual Meeting and International Science Symposium.
- Congratulations to Drs. Michel Daher and Dayane Daou, SHARP MS students, on publishing "Examining Burnout, Depression, and Attitudes Regarding Drug Use Among Lebanese Medical Students During the 4 Years of Medical School" in Academic Psychiatry (View)
- Congratulations to Dr. Mohamad El Zein, SHARP Summer 2013 graduate, for receiving his MPH degree from The University of Toledo and matching for Gastroenterology fellowship.
- Congratulations for Dr. Victor Nauffal, SHARP Summer 2013 graduate, for matching at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Cardiology
- Four Virtues of Successful Scientists
- A mini-review by Mrs. Leila El-Chaar entitled “Health effects and Public Health Concerns of energy Drink Consumption in the United States: A Mini-Review” is now published in Frontiers of Public Health (Read) (PDF)
- Harvard Medical School 2017-2018 Dean's Report (View) (PDF)- SHARP graduates shine again (Read)
- Alleviating the access abyss in palliative care and pain relief an imperative of universal health coverage: the Lancet Commission report (View)
- WHO releases guidelines to address overweight and obesity in children (View)
- Release of the GCM/NCD Progress Report 2014-2016 (View)
- Publications from The New England Journal of Medicine on non-inferiority trials and per protocol analyses (Non inferiority studies) (Per-Protocol Analyses of Pragmatic Trials)- Dr. Maya Barake-paper entitled "Effects of Growth Hormone Therapy on Bone Density and Fracture Risk in Age-Related Osteoporosis in the Absence of Growth Hormone Deficiency. A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis" has been accepted for publication in Endocrine.
- Presidential Symposium - Women at AUB: Strategic Institutional Initiatives (View) (Video)